Sunday, December 6, 2009

OVCX Last Race Recap


On the drive home I realized something somewhat profound about the experience of the last four months. The focus for the last four months was Mackenzie and getting her to realize how to compete, have fun, and work hard. Build skills in something she would enjoy athletically and take it one day at a time.

The learning was that while she may have come to understand these things, I probably learned more in the last four months than she did - and without really understanding it. All this time spent working with her had developed something in me that I didn't have a great grasp on previously - a better ability to be patient with the kids and a better ability to put their interests before my own.

Mackenzie was ecstatic today after her race, but in a different way than I expected. She couldn't believe she had won - kept asking if it was for real. She knew she had won when she came across the line, but was confused because she didn't expect it. The strongest girl in the field who had been winning all year (and Mackenzie's very good friend) had a bad day. She fell twice, dropped her chain twice and struggled. At some point Mackenzie will learn the opposite end of "racing", but today she learned the up side to racing. You never know...


And now we are off to Nationals. Ship my bike tomorrow via 2nd day air (that's gonna cost some $$$) and fly out on Wednesday. Bend is expecting 5 inches of snow and cold temps. Will definitely lead to a challenge. Mackenzie is overjoyed to be going and can't wait. She had no expectations of a placing, just wants to go, experience it, and ride.

I also can't wait, but not because of my racing. I am excited to spend five straight days (and 7 out of 9 including this weekend) with Mackenzie. It is a bonding that will be remembered for a life time. Mackenzie may not remember the lessons that I learned from her, but we will both remember the time spent.

No comments: