Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Best Laid Plans

On Sunday I had this great idea. The Red Zone folks could get most of the bikes out to Oregon in there trailer - and had room for a lot of wheels and duffle bags, but not my 'bike'. So, I sent my wheels on Kenzie's bike, but my helmet and shoes in a duffle, and then I would only have to ship my frame. I could then use the extra room in the bike case for all my other cycling clothes and related items.

I got my bike all packed up and ready and shipped it on Monday. Immediately it had an 'exception' - turns out the storm that just hit the Midwest put down the same blizzard out west and the exception was a potential weather delay. Immediately my brain raced through all the potential options - from borrowing someone's bike to buying one and reselling immediately on ebay.

Fast forward to today and as I was sitting in the Seattle airport I got an email saying my 'frame' was delivered. The relief spread through my entire body.

After a 35 minute flight over the mountains to Portland we met up with Doug Dobrozsi. All our flights went to schedule and everyone met up to caravan to Bend. Then Doug gave the Red Zone report.

At last contact the Red Zone van and trailer was sitting on the highway somewhere in Wyoming. The recent blizzard had closed the highway with three foot drifts. They were still 800 miles away with 36 hours left to the Juniors race time - less than 24 to my first race.

Now I have an opposite issue. May have to find shoes, wheels and a helmet to race tomorrow - oh, and some tools to put my bike back together.

The big concern is the Juniors. The Red Zone van went 200 miles in the previous 6 hours. At that pace they need another 24 hours to get here.

Hoping for a just in time arrival.

No comments: